SIECUS—the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States was founded in 1964 to provide education and information about sexuality and sexual and reproductive health.
SIECUS affirms that sexuality is a fundamental part of being human, one that is worthy of dignity and respect. We advocate for the right of all people to accurate information, comprehensive education about sexuality, and sexual health services. SIECUS works to create a world that ensures social justice and sexual rights.
What Does SIECUS Do?
WE EDUCATE teachers, parents, caregivers, health and education professionals, policymakers, advocates, the media, and other key audiences who influence the lives of young people through training, websites, technical assistance, and publications.
WE ADVOCATE to promote, protect, and secure public policies that advance sexual and reproductive health and human rights.
WE INFORM educators, researchers, advocates, policymakers, parents, caregivers, and the general public through websites, publications, and the media.
What does SIECUS believe?
Since its inception, SIECUS has examined many major sexuality issues confronting society. SIECUS has adopted position statements on topics such as sexuality and religion, sexuality and the media, sexual orientation, gender equality and equity, sexuality of persons with disabilities, and HIV/AIDS. You can view these position statements on our website at www.siecus.org/about/abou0001.html or email us at our Contact Us page.
How Can SIECUS Help You?
If you are an Educator…
SIECUS offers educational opportunities for teachers and community-based educators focused on sexuality. We offer:
· specialized trainings designed to help you meet the needs of your community
· suggestions for curricula and classroom lessons
· online educational programs
· educational listservs and websites
· individualized technical assistance
If you are an Advocate…
SIECUS offers a variety of resources for individuals and organizations who believe that young people deserve comprehensive, medically accurate information about sexuality and sexual and reproductive health issues. We offer:
· updates on federal policies, domestic and international opposition monitoring, special issue reports,fact sheets, legislative reports, and press releases
· a national campaign to stop federal funding for abstinence-only-until-marriage programs
· a coalition of mainstream organizations that are dedicated to supporting comprehensive sexuality
· individualized technical assistance on advocacy, media, or policy issues
If you are facing a Community Controversy …
SIECUS provides strategies, tools, resources, and support to help those facing a community controversy regarding sexuality education and sexual health programs. We offer:
· information about similar controversies across the country
· reviews of the most commonly used abstinence-only-until-marriage curricula
· strategies to help protect comprehensive sexuality education programs
· individualized technical assistance, guidance, and support
For more information, email us at our Contact Us page.
If you are a Policymaker…
SIECUS is a highly respected source of information among many members of Congress and state and local policymakers. We offer:
· analysis of policy developments pertaining to sexuality education, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS funding and prevention, reproductive rights, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health and rights
· education, assistance, research, and resources for policymakers and their staff
If you are a Clinician or Social Worker…
SIECUS is a valued and reliable resource for evidence-based information about sexual and reproductive health issues. We provide:
· guidance on program development
· educational tools and materials
· specialized technical assistance
If you are a Young Person…
Some of SIECUS’ resources are specifically geared toward youth. We offer:
· Talk About Sex, a mini-book for young people ages 14–19 that discusses sexual rights, anatomy, sexual health, gender identity, sexual orientation, relationships, communication, sexual behavior, sexual abuse, pregnancy prevention, and STDs and HIV
· links to educational websites, direct service providers, and other resources for teens
If you are a Parent or Caregiver…
SIECUS offers an array of resources to encourage open and honest family communication about sexuality and sexual health issues. We provide parents and caregivers with:
· newsletters and websites in both English and Spanish that help parents understand and discuss sexuality-related issues
· support, guidance, and tools to help them get more comfortable with having conversations about sexuality-related issues
For more information, go to www.siecus.org, or email us at our Contact Us page.
If you are a member of the Media…
SIECUS works with the media to educate policymakers, community leaders, and the public in order to advance sexual and reproductive health and rights around the world. We offer:
· the latest research and polling data on sexual and reproductive health issues
· thoughtful commentary on timely news items and recently released data
· interviews with experts in the sexuality and sexual and reproductive health fields
How Can I Contact SIECUS?
SIECUS is supported by individual contributions, foundation grants, and a cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).