Understanding Abstinence Only Until Marriage Programs
In recent years, abstinence-only-until-marriage programs have gained popularity largely because of the availability of federal funds. Any advocate for sexuality education must understand these programs. This section provides background information, common characteristics, and a brief explanation of federal funding. It also explains why such programs run counter to the goals of comprehensive sexuality education, the available scientific research, the advice of public health professionals, and most importantly, the well-being of our young people.
- The Federal Government & Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs
- What is Wrong with the Federal Definition for Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs
- Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs Ignore Those Most in Need
- Common Characteristics of Fear-Based, Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Curricula
- Medically Accurate Abstinence-Only Programs without Fear and Shame